One day tours
Tours for groups (40 + 1)
Tour language: EN | DE | RU | LV
Tour length: ~9h
Price: 64.00 EUR* per person
* all excursions and activities as described in tour programme
* group guide services
* paid objects: Bauska Castle, Rundale Palace, Mezotne Palace.
* Price is provided for groups of 10 people. Please ask the price for a larger group.
In the morning we depart from the hotel
The castle building is the only architectural example in Latvia illustrating the manifestations of mannerism-ere architecture and design in the Duchy of Courland. The oldest part of Bauska Castle is the Livonian Order Fortress, built specially for the use of firearms. It is a characteristic example of Latvia’s 15th-17th century military construction. The residence-type castle, fortified with bastions, fortification walls and earthen ramparts, is a more recent structure.
Further drive to Rundale Palace
Most of the interior decorations were created between 1765 and 1768 when a sculptor from Berlin Johann Michael Graff, and Italian painters from St. Petersburg Francesco Martini and Carlo Zucchi worked at the palace.
The representation rooms in the eastern wing of the palace – the Gilt Hall, the White Hall, and the Great Gallery – are open to the public. The central block accommodates the Duke's suite with reception parlours and private rooms, and the eastern block – suite of Duchess's rooms.
A Baroque palace cannot be imagined without the French garden. The regular French style park with its rose garden, the Green Theatre, ornamental parterres and the fountain, are open for the public. The bosquets feature an impressive, almost one hectare large, rose garden that spreads on both sides of the parterres. The garden reflects the history of cultivating roses in Europe from the early 18th century till these days.
There are catering services available on palace grounds.
Departure to Mezotne
Excursion in The Mežotne Palace - The Pearl of The Latvian Classicism. Over a thousand years ago Mežotne used to be an ancient Semigallian stronghold. The history of the Mežotne estate dates back to Duke Jacob's time - the middle of 17th century. Later, in 1795, the Russian Empress Catherine II granted the Mežotne estate for lifetime use to the governess of her grandchildren Charlotte von Lieven who was conferred the title of a countess in 1799. In 1797 Czar Paul I granted the estate to the Lievens as a patrimonial estate. Charlotte von Lieven commissioned the building of the present day Mežotne Palace in 1797 after the design of the Italian architect Giaccomo Quarenghi. The construction of the residence was supervised by the Saxonian architect Johan Georg Adam Berlitz. The construction was completed in1802. During the agrarian reform of 1920 the count Anatole Lieven lost the Mežotne estate. From 1921 to 1944 the building accommodated an agricultural school. During the battles of World War II the buildings of the castle were partly destroyed. The restoration works that were initiated in 1958 by the Mežotne Plant Breeding and Testing Station saved the palace from complete devastation. The renovation of the palace was completed in 2001.
Arrival back at the hotel in the afternoon